Monday, January 12, 2015

Crafts: St. Optimus of Prime


[ Previously: Crafts: SAGA Stained Glass ]
Via: Reddit

This stunning stained glass window featuring Optimus Prime was created by Transformers fan Craig Kovatch, who got his inspiration from this piece created by Ninjaink.

Kovatch had never worked with stained glass before, so he took some local classes to learn how. He spent seventy hours on this impressive project, which began with creating a paper template, then carefully cutting 121 pieces of glass before soldering it all together. 

Click here for step-by-step process photos to get a better idea of just how much work went into this geektastic project.  Kovatch did a great job documenting his process, and he's taking questions on Reddit.



St. Optimus of Prime

Based on Optimus Noveau by Timothy Lim
"AKA NinjaInkArt. Check him out at http://www.facebook.com/ninjainkart I first saw this in June and thought "that would be cool as stained glass". In August, I decided to build it and signed up for a class at a local studio."
Initial sketch
"This was my first sketch for the glass pattern, before I knew what was physically possible to cut."
First "final" pattern
"Scaled up to 36"x20" and with structurally sound leadlines. 
This is the pattern I printed to use as the base pattern to build on, although I made some changes as I went."
Glass pattern
"I used two copies of the pattern. One with thin lines, nailed to the board to build upon, and this one, with thick lines, which provide a template for cutting the glass with gaps for the lead came channels."
Starting leadwork
"I cut out about half of the glass before I realized my cutting tolerances were more precise than the pattern shears. I started cutting/building piece-by-piece after this, which took a lot longer, but yielded a much tighter fit."
Final design

Final design

Torso assembly

Torso assembly

Halo assembly

Halo assembly

Built and ready to solder

Built and ready to solder

Amber top
"I was worried the amber "background" glass would be too close to the yellow of the halo, but I eventually felt it was the best choice, especially given the way the texture of the glass matched the curve of the Matrix of Leadership."
Pattern board after building and soldering

Puttying

Puttying

Soldered, Puttied, and Detailed


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...