Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Illustration: 13 Nights of Halloween


Prints available for purchase from Etsy. US$10
"Holy Cow! I cannot believe its Halloween already. It is my favorite time of year and I always enjoy the extra traffic it seems to bring to my gallery as people search for ghoulish imagery.

So with the arrival of Halloween brings my 4th annual 13 Nights of Halloween.
The Theme for this year is Famous Monsters.

To some it will come as no surprise that the artist who has had the most influence on me is Basil Gogos. His art adorned so many covers of the Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine. He made monsters beautiful and horrific beings created with brilliant colors and light.  If you are not familiar with him please do yourself a favor and google his name. I am sure most will at least have an "AH HAH!" Moment when the see one of his paintings."


"So this year on 13 Nights I really wanted to explore the work of the artist I admire.
During art school I always remember hearing, "Study the masters and try to copy an learn from their work. There you will find answers."

I have, for awhile now, been pouring over Basils work, examining his use of color and value. This years 13 Nights of Halloween are the culmination of these studies. They are an experiment of me trying to walk in the footsteps of an artist I greatly admire.

Some may say I am aping him or a hack. That's fine.This is as much of a learning process as well as an homage.With each post I will try and include a summary of what I learned from each painting.  I really look forward to posting this year and I think these are some of the best looking paintings I have done. I learned so much and I cannot wait to start applying this knowledge to my own work."







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...