Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Posters: Blade Runner

Poster art by Drew Struzan

Blade Runner Poster by Drew Struzan
Acrylic paints and colored pencils on gessoed board
"I began working on this piece of art way back in 1982 when I was commissioned by the Studio to explore concepts for the poster. I did one color comprehensive originally and from that made a few alterations as requested by the Studio. In the end, they did not use my design so I never painted the finished illustration. 

In 2001, when Ridley Scott was thinking of releasing a new director's version of the film, I was asked if my original sketch from '82 could be used on the cover. It turned out that this was Ridley's favorite artwork for his film. I went through the usual artist angst, rather than use a comprehensive for the cover, better to use finished art and if I'm going to paint the finish should it be the 20-year-old design or should it be updated. I decided on the latter. 

The DVD was produced at long last and this is now the cover (2007)."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...