Friday, September 12, 2014

Posters: Avatar


"Avatar" by Milwaukee-based Josh Gilbert (Shokxone-Studios)
Prints available for purchase from Etsy. US$25
"I loved Avatar, but the poster campaigns never quite lived up to the movie's insane imagery. I hope I've gone some way toward correcting that. Once again Drew Struzan (famous for his Star Wars poster series, as evidenced by your comments) is a point of homage here, and I think with this collage I've come the closest yet to aping his style.

The actual intent of this image is for a custom DVD cover; that shall be forthcoming, as I'm waiting for the inevitable Special Edition coming at the end of the year. In the meantime, I decided to have some fun with the completed poster.

EDIT 7/8/10: So after the ENORMOUS response following the Daily Deviation feature, I decided to go back into this monster and add a few things some of you indicated it was missing...and you were right. So, your beloved Norm Spellman is now present and accounted, along with Parker Selfridge, and even a chunk of Unobtainium. Other little additions/corrections dropped in as well.

I'll try to make this the last revision, but I realize...sometimes you only think something is done, when really you've just been working on it so long you're tired of looking at it, knowwhatimean?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...