Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Crafts: SAGA Stained Glass


"Here it is! The finished, patina’ed, cleaned and framed version of fionastaples's amazing cover. I hope it does it justice. It's made of a combination of translucent and opaque glass, which might have been a mistake… It looks nice without light behind it, but then the sky appears to be dark. But maybe Alana is sneaking out on her night shift to read under the light of the moons? I really like the backlit version too, but it loses the skin color detail. But then it has the advantage of looking nice both at night and during the day. There is no paint on this one! All the lines you see a solder lines.

20x30 inches, about 170 individual pieces of glass"



"So I usually never ever post photos of unfinished things, but it’s gonna be a while before I can get the solder to frame it and I’m just so excited about this piece. Saga was, I believe, the first American comic book I’ve ever read. Ever. Even before Sandman. It’s also the comic that introduced me to the wonderful fantasticgirlreadscomics comic book club and plunged me head first into this insanely awesome universe.

It is also so, so, so good.

And fionastaples's art is stunning! - so free yet so expressive. And this particular cover is just Alana in one image, and just bloody cool in general.

I still have to solder on the frame, and patina it black. My phone categorically refuses to render the actual colors of the glass, so that almost navy blue is actually a clear turquoise in real life. The bubble is made from the glass the brimples were made from ;) and I aligned the streaks of the mocha skin glass to the line of her cheekbone. That skin tone was the hardest to figure out! There are no “hazel” or “coffee” or “chocolate” or “amber” colors of glass, just weird orangy-brown and “peach”. Hurmf.
Feet for scale! My biggest piece yet."





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...